My Twitter stream went nuts for Shaun Tan just now when he (and the creative team!) won the Oscar for Best Animated Short film for “The Lost Thing”. From small press beginnings to international superstardom, Shaun is a deserving winner and someone we here in Oz are so proud of. And you know what? He’s a lovely guy too! Good onya Shaun!
Posted via LiveJournal.app.
In the past weeks I have had:
* Swancon meeting and ongoing stuff to do related to same.
* WASLA meeting and going stuff to do related to same.
* editing, layout and proofing of After the Rain occur.
* wind up of the After the Rain ebook fundraiser for QLD Flood Relief – we raised over $2400 and I’m so pleased and thankful to all who contributed in any way.
* WASLA PD, which I presented at and participated in.
* a meeting with the CBCA-WA branch president regarding my new role as WA judge for the CBCA Book Awards – very exciting and a little daunting!
* two boxes of books arrive for the WA Premier’s Book Awards reading.
* very busy days at work.
* a kid birthday party (which I kind of piked early on, because it was so. damn. hot.)
* a little time with friends (about to rectify that with two groups of friends today! Yay!).
* lots of early mornings. And some early nights. Are they balancing out? Hopefully!
* probably more stuff. Who can remember.
That’s my life in dot points, which is about all I’ve got time for, but needed to post! And here, have a cutie pie picture
I have no idea why it’s taken me so long to do a proper update post. In my defence, I’ve been flat out at work (first few weeks of the year are always a madhouse!), working really hard on the new professional association journal I’m editor for, and on Swancon stuff, as it rapidly approaches! In between all that, I’ve started clearing the decks for two major judging roles I was delighted to be selected for (two boxes of books for the first one arrived today and have been neatly put away in the judging cupboard!), meaning I’ve tried to clear a bit of my TBR shelf and catch up on some outstanding reviews and so on.
But it hasn’t been all work – have had some lovely catchups with friends, both planned and unexpected, which has been really nice and good to keep me balanced. We’re back at playgroup (although I skipped it yesterday as Master One has been a bit crook – teething mostly – and I just NEEDED a day at home!). With both big kids at school fulltime now, you’d think my two days off would be really productive now, but, um, not yet…
Um, there’s been other stuff. But I can’t think of it right now! So that’ll do.
The awards season just keeps on rolling. Any person active in fandom is eligible to nominate works in the annual Ditmar Awards, and the more people who nominate, the more diverse and representative the shortlist will be! Want to know what’s eligible? We’ve made it easy for you, with the Ditmar Eligible Works list! Please note while this list is comprehensive, it is not necessarily complete – it’s a living document!